All I have to say is YUM...

ok who are we kidding since when am I one for few words! ha! I saw this recipe earlier this week looking through Bread & Honey and I fell in love. You see I've never actually made biscuits... Bisquick ones, sure, but do those really count? These seemed so simple and easy I just HAD to make them!

Another reason I had to make them is due to little Walton's nickname. Before we knew who was growing in my sister's belly we called him biscuit, which I think is just a fantastic name for a little baby in a belly! Ok time for another adorable Walton shot!

Ahh doesn't that just make you feel better? :)

Ok as for the biscuits, I made a half recipe since I knew I would chow them all in one sitting. I came out with 5 biscuits all of which were phonominal with a little of my homemade raspberry jam slatherd on them! Mmmmmmmm maybe I should go make some more.... man these things are good!!

As per usual I changed the recipe up a little by adding in some whole wheat flour. Here is my version of half the recipe!


Buttermilk biscuits
3/4 cup bread flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp flour enhancer
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbs cold butter
4oz skim milk + squirt lemon juice (let stand 5 minutes to turn milk sour) (or just use buttermilk if you have it on hand instead of making it like me)

Directions (taken direct from bread & honey)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, or in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal. If using a food processor, just pulse a few times until this consistency is achieved. Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined. If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Gently, gently PAT (do NOT roll with a rolling pin) the dough out until it's about 1/2" thick. Use a round cutter (or the rim of a small glass) to cut into rounds. You can gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, but they will not be anywhere near as good as the first ones.

Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like"crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together. Bake for about 10-12 minutes- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom. Do not overbake.

*Note: The key to real biscuits is not in the ingredients, but in the handling of the dough.