That's right I was on my last bite when I realized I hadn't taken a picture after they were cooked... wooops! Here is the last one in a nice spicy red sauce. Delicious!


So John and I love gnocchi (NYOH-kee), or if John is saying it (YON-kee)... yes it's an ongoing debate on how to say it. It seems most places in the world pronounce it like I say it... however when in a totally old school italian restaurant in Gates NY... it's the way he says it... hahaha. Since Gates is also known as "little Italy" I seem some cred to it... but being i'm part italian... I'm saying I'm right :) Anyway.... gnocchi is the only white pasta he will eat out, I know crazy huh (we eat the whole wheat kind at home though) I've tried making these before with yams but in a time crunch this recipe is the best! It's super fast and easy. Even though it's made with pumpkin you really can't taste it, it tastes like normal potato gnocchi!

Pumpkin Gnocchi
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
14 cups water

Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, pumpkin puree, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir well to form a smooth dough (dough will be slightly sticky). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape dough into a 12 x 3-inch-long roll. Cut roll lengthwise into 6 (1/2-inch-thick) strips, and cut each strip into 12 (1-inch) pieces. Press each piece of dough with a lightly floured fork. Place gnocchi on a lightly floured baking sheet; set aside.

Bring water to boil in a large Dutch oven. Add half of gnocchi; cook 3 minutes or until done. Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon; place in a colander. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.

sliced up and ready to be shaped

all ready to go into the water