Nutella, oh how I love you... I'm assuming you all know what Nutella is right?? Seriously if you don't know... I am so so sad for you, and you MUST go make some now, because it is the best thing. Recently I started seeing commercials on TV for Nutella toting it as a healthy breakfast... wait what?? Are we talking about the same product? It's hazelnuts... and chocolate... in a spreadable form... you're telling me if I put this on toast it's a well balanced breakfast... OK whoever the marketing team was on this one... nice job LOL...

Ingredient list for commercial nutella: "sugar, modified palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced minerals whey (from milk), soy lecithin: an emulsifier, vanillin: an artificial flavor."

You know it's a good breakfast staple when the first ingredient is sugar! How about we make it my way and have it taste delicious AND be better for you?? Hey and this way is vegan to boot!

As you might have guessed, this recipe starts with roasting some hazelnuts (350 degrees for about 10 minutes). Once they are roasted and slightly cooled it's time to remove their skin... I discovered hazelnuts don't all like to get naked... some hold onto their little frail pieces of clothing for dear life!! For those little guys, I said fine you can keep your dignity... into the blender with all of you!

This really is a quick and easy recipe that doesn't involve many ingredients. The batch I made fit perfectly into a small 1/2 pint mason jar. Feel free to double the recipe, since it WILL go fast.

Nutella ::steph chows:: style
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts
2 Tbs cocoa powder
3 Tbs maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract

Roast hazelnuts whole in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Let cool a bit and remove skins by rubbing them between a dish towel or your hands. Grind nuts in a food processor until they form into a thick butter. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.

Spoon into a jar with a tight fitting lid and refrigerate.


There are so many ways to enjoy nutella... I'll tell you about a few of my favorite ways later on :)

OK now onto the really fun stuff! I just wanted to tip you off to a fabulous giveaway that will be happening here later this week! Here's a little teaser :)

go ahead... click on it, you know you want to...